You are interested in starting a blog but do not know how to start.
Today, I will show you all about easily creating a blog on your own and how to start a blog with WordPress, it’s easier and faster than you think.
I used to be a blogging newbie too, but with the problems I’ve gone through, I will help you do not have to see them again and help you save time, money. I promise it’ll be very simple, relatively easy, and definitely easy to understand.
Awesome, let’s move on.
We have 6 steps to start a blog.
- Pick a domain name.
- Find a host.
- Get started with WordPress.
- Design & use your blog!
There are six main steps you need to start a blog. If you follow the above step exactly, you’ll have your own blog in 60 minutes or less.
Step 1: Pick a Domain
You need to get a domain that is short and easy to remember and a reliable web host to keep your blog up and running.
Your domain name will be your site’s URL. For example, my domain is tipupdate.com.
There are 8 rules to have a perfect domain name:
- It has to be clear and understood in a second
- It has to be brandable (think Google.com VS SearchForWhatYouWant.com)
- Keep it short (2-3 words maximum)
- No Hyphens
- Keep the name flexible, don’t limit yourself
- Choose the .com domains if they are available!
- Use a keyword in the name if possible
- Don’t overthink it, choose something!
When I show you how to start your blog using my special link at Hostgator, getting your new domain registered is absolutely free with only !
Step 2: Choosing a web hosting company
The hosting company we recommend for bloggers starting out is Hostgator. They started in 2002 and by today they have over 2 million customers and one of the fastest load times you will find anywhere. It’s also got a 99.98% uptime guarantee (they’re often running at 100%). Not only that, HostGator’s packages are competitively priced, offer great customer support, and deliver an overall terrific user experience.
At the same time, they have 24/7 live chat support that will solve any problems you might have, instantly. They’re specialized in hosting WordPress sites, which is exactly what we’re going for with this tutorial.
Here’s how to sign up with Hostgator:
- Go to Hostgator.com (click here for a discount + a free domain name) and select your plan then click Buy Now!
- Enter your desired domain name, then click the “Next” button. If you already have a domain, enter your domain name instead on the “I Have a Domain Name” part.
- Now select a package and fill up the form. You can always upgrade later if you choose to do so.
- Move to the next step: Enter Your Billing Info and fill up the form.
- The next section is the ADD ADDITIONAL SERVICES. Here, you’ll see a couple of optional services that you can decide whether or not you want to sign up for or not. You can uncheck this for the time being.
- Review the order details, read the terms and conditions and click CHECK OUT.
- Once your account is ready, you will get a confirmation email from Hostgator.
You can then log into your Control Panel (Hostgator will send you the logins) and install WordPress!
Step 4: Install WordPress
Hostgator offers two ways by which you can install WordPress.
- Quick Install
One of the fastest and easiest ways to Install WordPress on HostGator’s hosting is using QuickInstall. This is one of the easiest ways to get started and within 5 minutes your WordPress site will be up.
Follow this guide and feel free to ask questions if you have any:
Login to your HostGator web panel. Under services/Software click on QuickInstall.
On the QuickInstall page, you need to select “WordPress’ on the left side. In 2018, HostGator also offered services that will cost you a lot to Install & simply to set up a Theme. I would suggest skipping that option, & just follow this guide to setup everything of your own.
Next step, click on the drop-down and select the domain on which you want to install WordPress blog.
Click on next & now configure rest of settings as directed below and make sure that don’t use “admin” as username, as this is a security risk. Instead, use your email address or your nickname.
In while HostGator is setting up your WordPress blog, it might try to upsell you by offering stuff like WordPress theme or any such service. I think you should Skip it to save money.
After a few minutes, your WordPress blog will be installed and you will get an email with your dashboard link, username & password. To log in to your blog, click the admin URL. If you forget this URL, it’s simply yourdomain.com/wp-admin
WOWWW! You now have a WordPress blog and you will have to work on the design and producing high-quality content. Good luck!
If you sign up for Hostgator, but you are confused for any reason (such as how to set it up, picking a plan, pricing, etc.), you can always contact me via comment or contact page and I can help you out.
Step 5: Design your WordPress Blog
WordPress uses design templates called “WordPress Themes” to figure out how your site should look. Changing your blog’s layout and design is as simple as installing a new theme.
You can use a free premade theme, buy one, hire a web designer OR hire me via Contact page.
Where do I get themes?
- Free theme: Login to WordPress, go to Appearance > Themes > Install Themes and start your search. Or you can simply go to wordpress.org/themes.
- Professional theme: You can buy themes on Themeforest.net (price ranges from $30-$60). But I highly recommend buying at MyThemeShop or Genesis. Their themes have more featured (SEO, speed, performance, security,…) very useful for blogging and many bloggers use. At the present, MyThemeShop is sale off with 75% and you can get discount here.
Step 6: Basic Setup Your Blog
There are some things you’d need to do to begin the first post.
- Click on the “Settings” -> “Permalinks” and use the following settings:
- Spam comments – Unfortunately, lots of people want to leave automated spam comments on your blog.To avoid that, make sure you moderate your comments. Here’s how to do that: Go to “Settings” –> “Discussion” and tick those two options.
- Install Plugins
Here are 7 WordPress plugins that we think are must-have:
Yoast SEO – The easiest way to optimize your website for search engines
Itheme Security – Prevent hacking attempts, keep your website secure
Contact Form 7 – The easiest way to let your readers get in touch with you
WP Super Cache – Make your website load faster
UpdraftPlus – Automatically create backups of your website
SumoMe – 12+ Free tools to grow your website automatically & make more money
After finish below 6 step, now you can start writing the first post.